Monday, February 11, 2008

Happy Birthday, Mom!

Today is my mother's birthday. I won't say how old she is, because she is a genuine Southern belle, and we don't tell our ages.

Mom is celebrating her birthday without my dad for the second time, and she's come such a long way since his death. Last year my brother and I threw her a very big birthday bash, having a private party in a fancy restaurant on Paces Ferry Road in Buckhead, getting all gussied up for photos, serving champagne (maybe I'm making that part up...seems a tad decadent at lunch, even for my family...) but this year she is feeling much more like her old self, and the celebration was more real and laid back. The kids and I invited her to spend the night at our house Friday night. We met my brother and his family at Longhorn Steak, had a fabulous dinner, the waiters sang happy birthday to her, we had cake, and mom was genuinely happy. She only got teary when we sang; I could tell she was thinking about Dad. Afterwards we came home, opened presents, then put on our pajamas and did some genealogical research on the internet, cause mom doesn't know how to use a computer and needed my help researching her paternal side of the family so she can get in the DAR. It was a nice, un self-conscious celebration, and I am very proud of her for being so strong so quickly after my dad's death.


My mom is a musician. She plays piano beautifully and has been a piano teacher ever since I was little. She's still at it, and says it keeps her on her toes. No doubt. She is a very sensitive person, a caring person, and she loves her kids and grandchildren with a calm honesty that I wish I possessed. She worries about silly things - being late to an event, wearing the right outfit, driving on the interstate - but she doesn't worry about the real important stuff. I've never seen her upset about anything when dealing with my children, for example. Things they do that make me want to pull out my hair, she treats with warmth and hugs, and gets much better results, I might add.
I am happy we spent her birthday weekend together, and I am lucky to call her Mom.


5 comments:

Editor said...

It did totally blow my mind that our mothers share the same birthday, and I have such a weak spot for genuine Southern Belles. :-)

Happy, Happy Birtday Julie's mom. I hope it was a wonderful day!

Julie said...

Aw Tod...thanks from my mom. And I hope your mom's was wonderful, too.
xoxo

caryl said...

She's lovely! You did a good job making her day special.

Peanut said...

Awww, that is the sweetest blog I've read...ever! I feel really lucky that I met your mom (what a trip to run into her while getting BBQ!) I bet she was thrilled to celebrate with you all. And I love that pic of you two together!

Chicken And Waffles said...

What a wonderful and loving tribute, Jules. She should be proud to call you daughter, too.