Saturday, February 16, 2008

Amy Winehouse is Go!

I am here to stick up for Amy Winehouse, because America is trying to make her into some character in an imaginary intervention reality show, and it's pissing me off. Watch this video and tell me she's not right on fucking target:



She's Aretha, Gladys, and Sarah rolled into one. She put out the album EVERYONE should have put out last year. She's making music that's completely unlike anything else at the moment. I know what you're thinking...But Julie! What about all those other blues-y soul-y female singers...Joss Stone, Grace Potter, etc? Puhleeze! Amy has more talent in one hair on that bouffanted head than all those gals put together. They're doing the same old thing, lending their admittedly strong voices to the exact same style of music that's been coming out for years. Amy, on the other hand, has incorporated blues, 50's girl bands, ska, reggae, and rock and made a sound that's completely her own. She is in a league of her own, doing it ALL differently. Just look at her backup singers. Anyone who puts those handsome, nattily-dressed gogo dancers behind her is cool beyond belief.

But for some reason the public focuses on her personal strife, letting it overshadow her talent. Yes, she's a mess, yes her teeth are falling out, but in the long run I don't give a shit if she's in AA or snorting coke onstage, if her hair looks like shit or if she cleans up her act, she's the epitome of 'it' at the moment, and should be recognized for her talent. She is not some tattooed Brittney, some poster child for rehab, she's a kick ass musician with her finger on the pulse of something very new.



Any singer cool enough to choose that band, to be that retro but still fully in the 21st century, to sing those songs with that voice should get nothing but praise. Modern whomp? Um, Taylor, Amy already did it while you were asleep.

8 comments:

Chicken And Waffles said...

I totally agree with you, Jules. She's got the chops. I loved her album and was pleased she picked up so many Grammy Awards last week. The media is always quick to vilify behaviors and you're right to point out that we shouldn't resist sampling her music because of a perception of a troubled soul. Thanks for recognizing her talent in this post.

caryl said...

I agree. What the heck does her personal life have to do with the music she produces? Those people who say she's being rewarded for bad behavior are idiots. That doesn't even make sense.

Here's a dicey question. Just throwing it out there and I realize it probably wouldn't ever happen, but what do you think about Taylor opening for Amy?

Anonymous said...

Wow. That was hot!
She's freaky but she's got the funk. She's got soul.I think you just sold an album. She should say thank you to you!
HEY AMY!!! Say thank you to Julie!!...
Julie, i think the used crack pipe is on its way to you. You're welcome my dear!
:-)

Julie said...

Zen, that's SO wrong! But enjoy your album! :-)

And gals, I'm glad you agree with me. Right now it's the only album I listen to, and it's glorious.

Editor said...

I saw Amy in London last year. She's freaking awesome!!!!

Unknown said...

Amy is incredible! It's too bad she doesn't get more airplay. If she did people might be more likely to judge her music and not her personal life. I love her sound so much. I could listen to the "Back to Black" album all day. She is a beautiful disaster. I just hope that she can get her personal life together so that she can continue to put out amazing music.

Julie said...

Paloma, I'm so happy to have you comment here! Amy is really my favorite musician at the moment...I come in here just to watch that performance of "Valerie" about five times a day. I'd give anything to hear more of her songs on the radio here. I don't know why we don't.

And Tod, I'm really jealous you saw her live. Being a relative new fan of hers, I'm not even sure if she tours the U.S. very often, or at all...

Backyard Design Escondido said...

Hi nice reading your ppost