Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Dissurtayshun

I met with Candace today. She's my advisor. We had a long, serious discussion about me leaving the program. Lately I just haven't had it in me to finish (read: start) this goddamn dissertation. It's like a brick wall, and even when I feel good about it, and think I've got a clever idea as to how to approach the topic and possibly even write something, I just end up going in circles. Again.

So today I presented her with a plan that I worked out this past weekend. Or maybe it was last night. In any event, I narrowed down the topic, stripped away some stuff that it's just not possible for me to write about with any semblance of intelligence, and developed a method that I think will get me finished in six months, or damn near close. I told Candace, "I have to get a significant chunk of this done in the next six months, or throw in the towel completely." And she said "Don't throw in the towel completely. You've worked too hard. It's really not even an option." So being the good little advisee that I am, I didn't.

Now I feel confident and capable. I am going to tackle this with a vengeance, and even if I never end up teaching a single college course after this summer (I'm teaching summer school French 102....WHY???), by the end of the year you shall all have to call me.....drum roll, please....DR. HOUSE!!!! Only not as hot as the REAL Dr. House.



OH Greg. You do it for me, baby...

4 comments:

caryl said...

Well, hell, you HAVE to do this if only for the title! That's too cool.

Chicken And Waffles said...

Confidence is a good thing. That you're already cool helps. Just do it, Jules. Be the whole kickass you're meant to be (and let's face it, already are).

Brava.

Editor said...

I'd take you over the other Dr. House any day of the week. :-) I'm glad he does it for you, but not so much for me!

Anonymous said...

I wouldn't know where to begin with a "dissurtayshun." I don't even know how I managed to finish my undergrad in night school a couple years back. I do have a friend who just graduated with her PhD at UGA in Dec. It seemed to take forever. Kudos to you for sticking to it...and... that is a really hot photo of Hugh Laurie. Does it for me.